On January 14th, 2020, Microsoft will end support for legacy embedded CE/Windows Mobile Operating Systems. This includes 99% of the 15 million Windows mobile devices used by businesses around the world. These devices will no longer receive any technical support or compatibility/security updates.
Every company using CE/Windows Mobile Operating Systems will need to move to a modern, supported operating system. With time to prepare, businesses should be forming the most advantageous migration plan possible. A comprehensive migration plan answers the following questions:
- Which modern operating system is right for your business? Windows Embedded 8.1, Windows 10, Android, and iOS all provide relative advantages and disadvantages. Analyzing which option will serve your business needs best is crucial.
- Should we invest in new hardware at this time? Not all hardware is compatible with modern operating systems. If you’ve been planning a hardware upgrade, it may be expedient to time your OS migration to coincide with your new hardware.
- Do we have a plan to transfer our programs and applications to new operating systems? Some systems may need to be rebuilt for compatibility. Another option is virtualization, which allows existing programs and applications to run on modern operating systems and devices.
- Can we use migration software to automate this transition? You will need to evaluate the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of manually updating hardware and transferring systems, as compared to several available automated migration programs.
- Is there any benefit in waiting until the last minute? With time now to plan, you can select the most strategic time to execute your migration.
With 25 years’ experience helping manufacturers improve efficiency through data and technology, The SMS Group may be able to answer many of your questions about OS migration. To get in touch, please click here or give us a call at 937-498-2700.