Companies like Blockbuster, Kodak, Amazon and Ford prove that taking advantage of technological advances can make or break a business. For manufacturing, warehousing, and logistics companies, that means ditching pen and paper and going digital through mobile computing.
The advantages of mobile computing are vast, and could literally save your company from becoming obsolete against competition. However, it can be difficult to decide to adopt these technologies without weighing the pros and cons. So, we created a list.
PROS OF INTEGRATING MOBILE COMPUTING INTO YOUR BUSINESS
- Reduced costs: From minimizing costly calls into your office to automating error-prone processes, mobile computing can help reduce your company’s most prevalent and unnecessary costs. Read more here.
- Improved efficiency and responsiveness: Mobile computing can optimize logistics and optimize processes, enabling your company to respond to requests in real-time. Read more here.
- Smarter customer service: CRMs and mobile computing pair to generate real-time quotes and inform customer service and sales support with the right information, improving customer loyalty.
- Automated compliance tracking: In the regulation-heavy manufacturing industry, remaining compliant with regulations can be outsourced to mobile computing.
- Greater communication: Prospects and clients benefit from quick quotes with accurate numbers, business leaders can quickly share data to help inform decision-makers, and employees benefit from the ease and speed of working together on a single platform.
- Iron-tight security: The cost of a security breach to your business could be devastating, with a loss of customers, time, energy, and reputation. If you are a company that allows associates to bring in and work from their own devices, you could be facing a security breach. The use of regularly updated mobile devices reduces this risk.
- More data-based decisions: The adoption of mobile computing, sensors, and the internet of things could enable your company to collect and use data to become more efficient. Read more here.
CONS OF ADOPTING MOBILE COMPUTING TECHNOLOGIES
- Too many changes: Adopting change can be very difficult, especially if you work at a company that has done the same type of work for a long time. However, it is possible and necessary to adopt new technologies. Don’t be a Blockbuster—adapt to change.
- Lack of know-how: While questions like “how do we start?” can be overwhelming, an experienced partner can help guide you through a mobile strategy.
- High cost: Implementing new technologies isn’t free, but the cost is outweighed by increased competitiveness.
While the complexities and costs of adopting mobile computing can be overwhelming, the right partner can help keep your business competitive for years to come.
The SMS Group can help you find the perfect mobile technology strategy for your organization, and can guide you through the process of purchase and installation. Our team even develops custom applications. Contact us to learn more about successes we’ve seen and how to take steps toward greater operating efficiencies in your environment.